Our church was founded as the Occoquan Baptist Church, founded in the Potomac Baptist Association of Virginia in 1880. The Potomac Baptist Association was affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention and by joining the Association, the Occoquan Baptist Church established a relationship with the Southern Baptist Convention which it has maintained to this day.
The Church originally met in the Occoquan and later the Woodbridge schools. In the early 1890s the name was changed to the Woodbridge Missionary Church and the first church building was built at the intersection of Route 1 and Occoquan Road. This building still stands today in the town of Occoquan.
From the 1890s through the early 1900’s, the church was led by a series of pastors, and experienced growth and decline and regrowth. In the early 1950s, the church moved to a new location on the corner of Occoquan and Horner Road. This building also still stands today as the Montcastle Funeral Home.
In the early 1960s, having outgrown the Horner Road facility, the Church moved again to a new facility on Millwood Drive. These facilities would be expanded via construction and purchase of neighboring buildings over the next 40 years. In 1968, the name “The First Baptist Church of Woodbridge” was formally adopted.
Also in the 1960s, FBCW started a tradition of establishing local missions, which would eventually become churches in their own right. In 1962, FBCW established the Riverview Chapel Mission which eventually became the current Riverview Baptist Church. In 1972 FBCW established the Lake Ridge Mission, which eventually became the current Lake Ridge Baptist Church. In 2010, FBCW sponsored the establishment of Hope Hill Baptist Church in the Ashland community of Woodbridge. A Hispanic congregation became part of FBCW in 1989, and a Korean Baptist congregation also began to meet at FBCW’s Millwood facilities.
By the early 2000s, FBCW had once again outgrown its then current facility on Millwood. In 2002 the Church purchased property at Minnieville and Elm Farm Road. It sold the Millwood property to a Korean church, and thus began a period of “wandering in the wilderness” until the construction of a new facility was completed. For three years, FBCW met in the Woodbridge Senior High School, the First Church of the Nazarene and in the local AMC theater one summer during renovations at the high school. Construction on the new Minnieville Road facility began in May of 2004. Worship service in the new building finally started in January 2006. FBCW currently occupies this facility with its 17-acre campus.
The more recent Senior Pastors have included Reverend A.T. Worley, June 1954 to May 1968; Dr. Charles C. Moore from June 1969 until September 1985; Dr. Paul Brown from September 1985 until February 1994; and Reverend Ray Bearden from February 1994 until present.