FBCW History

Our church was founded as the Occoquan Baptist Church, founded in the Potomac Baptist Association of Virginia in 1880.  The Potomac Baptist Association was affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention and by joining the Association, the Occoquan Baptist Church established a relationship with the Southern Baptist Convention which it has maintained to this day.

The Church originally met in the Occoquan and later the Woodbridge schools.  In the early 1890s the name was changed to the Woodbridge Missionary Church and the first church building was built at the intersection of Route 1 and Occoquan Road. This building still stands today in the town of Occoquan.

From the 1890s through the early 1900’s, the church was led by a series of pastors, and experienced growth and decline and regrowth.  In the early 1950s, the church moved to a new location on the corner of Occoquan and Horner Road.  This building also still stands today as the Montcastle Funeral Home.

In the early 1960s, having outgrown the Horner Road facility, the Church moved again to a new facility on Millwood Drive.  These facilities would be expanded via construction and purchase of neighboring buildings over the next 40 years. In 1968, the name “The First Baptist Church of Woodbridge” was formally adopted.  

Also in the 1960s, FBCW started a tradition of establishing local missions, which would eventually become churches in their own right.  In 1962, FBCW established the Riverview Chapel Mission which eventually became the current Riverview Baptist Church.  In 1972 FBCW established the Lake Ridge Mission, which eventually became the current Lake Ridge Baptist Church.  In 2010, FBCW sponsored the establishment of Hope Hill Baptist Church in the Ashland community of Woodbridge.  A Hispanic congregation became part of FBCW in 1989, and a Korean Baptist congregation also began to meet at FBCW’s Millwood facilities.

By the early 2000s, FBCW had once again outgrown its then current facility on Millwood.  In 2002 the Church purchased property at Minnieville and Elm Farm Road.  It sold the Millwood property to a Korean church, and thus began a period of “wandering in the wilderness” until the construction of a new facility was completed.  For three years, FBCW met in the Woodbridge Senior High School, the First Church of the Nazarene and in the local AMC theater one summer during renovations at the high school.  Construction on the new Minnieville Road facility began in May of 2004. Worship service in the new building finally started in January 2006.  FBCW currently occupies this facility with its 17-acre campus.

The more recent Senior Pastors have included Reverend A.T. Worley, June 1954 to May 1968; Dr. Charles C. Moore from June 1969 until September 1985; Dr. Paul Brown from September 1985 until February 1994; and Reverend Ray Bearden from February 1994 until present.    

FBCW INC.

First Baptist Church of Woodbridge (FBCW) was incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia in 2007 as a nonprofit Church for religious, charitable and educational purposes.

Members. The government of this church is vested in the body of believers who compose it.  The members of FBCW retain the exclusive right of self-government in all areas related to the spiritual and temporal life of this Church. It recognizes and sustains the obligations of mutual counsel and cooperation which are common among Southern Baptist churches. Insofar as is practical, FBCW cooperates with and supports the NorthStar Church Network, the Baptist General Assembly of Virginia, and the Southern Baptist Convention.  

Elders. The Elders are the spiritual leaders of the church, advising and leading us in various areas of church life. They are therefore ultimately responsible for the fulfillment of our church’s mission.  

Church Council. The Church Council functions as the Church Board of Directors and is responsible for oversight of the legal and financial matter of our church. However, all major actions must be ratified by the congregation to be legally binding.

Church Officers. The permanent officers of the Church are the Chairman of the Church Council, the President/Chief Operating Officer (Senior Pastor), the Executive Pastor /Chief Operating Officer, the Secretary and the Treasurer.  

Pastors and Ministerial Staff. Our pastors and ministerial staff lead us and our ministries as we seek to fulfill the mission of the church.

Deacons. The FBCW Deacon body is a service oriented, rather than church governance/discipline organization.  It is composed of men who were deliberately nominated, screened, trained, and ordained to serve the Church congregation.  Deacons partner with the staff and church council in support of church policy and ministry programs.  Key Deacon focus areas include, but are not limited to such things as: invitation/altar call support; serving the Lord’s Supper; visitations; widow/widower care ministry; and new member class support.